Success on your terms

John Wood Community College has academic programs to fit any need, any schedule and any interest. Depending on your goals, timeframe and availability, you can find the program that works best for you. Choose from a transfer degree, technical degree or certificate.

Transfer Degrees

Students get the foundation they need to transfer and continue their education at any four-year institution.

The associate degree is designed for students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university for a baccalaureate degree. Students must complete at least 64 credit hours in courses numbered 100 or above, including courses in the following three areas: general education, the area of concentration (if declared) and electives.

Associate in Arts Degree (AA)
It provides emphasis in social sciences, humanities, communications and arts. 
Associate in Science Degree (AS)
Students wishing to major in math, engineering, agriculture, the natural sciences, and similar fields that require heavy undergraduate math and science should pursue the AS degree.
Associate in Fine Arts (AFA)
The AFA degree is available to those students seeking a degree in music performance. Students are required to complete the general education core courses and the required core music courses.

Technical Degrees

two-year technical training for entry into the workforce upon completion.

Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
The AAS degree is available to students seeking the advantage of specialized training in preparation for full-time employment. Students who complete prescribed requirements of a specific career program will receive the AAS degree. Students pursuing the AAS degree should understand that career/technical programs are designed to make a student job-ready and few such programs can be assured of college transfer.


Short-term training of specific skills for immediate entry into the workforce.

Certificates, which require fewer credit hours than the degree and are generally highly specialized and structured courses of study, are available in most of the College’s career/technical program areas. Students who complete the specified course requirements will receive a certificate in the program area.